Monday, April 7, 2008

Technology

I think the technology available today is great. What other time in history have you been able to surf the web, download music or have a conversation with someone--all when you are out in the middle of nowhere-- on your cellphone?

It wasn't that long ago that I didn't have a phone. I didn't see the need for one. I don't get that many phone calls, nor do I make them, so having a cell phone was not a big priority for me.

It still isn't, actually. I have one, but it generally stays in my purse, turned off while I am driving. The one time I did have my phone on while I was driving, I kept getting calls while I was on my way to the Library Staff Development Day from someone who kept telling me to stop calling him! I kept telling him I was not the one making the calls, and I had to turn my phone off so he would stop calling and nearly making me have an accident on the roads. The grating ring of my cell phone would send shivers up my spine, and I value being able to drive well and not be distracted by my blasted cell phone.

I keep it only for emergencies, and that is the primary reason why I got it. Once, I was trapped in my car going to a program in another branch by a bad accident. I used it to tell people I would be delayed. And that's still my primary use for it... or to check what my Mom and Dad need and/or want at the grocery store/pharmacy/Wal-Mart.

I don't know if this makes me anti-tech or just sensible.

I also loveloveloveloveLOVE my computer. Did I mention I have a Macintosh Pro Intel Desktop? 3 GB processor, 750 Gigs Hard Drive Space, all enough to play my favorite games, surf the internet with Comcast, blog and do just about anything else I want to do.

My biggest complaint? I no longer have as much time for reading with my new Comcast High Speed Modem. I used to get a fair bit of reading done while waiting for things to download to my computer (I used to have dial-up... horrors!), but now that the thrill has worn off a bit, I get finished faster and get off the computer to read. It's all good.

No comments: